What is WBCs? How to perform WBCs count test by neubaur chamber .
|What is WBCs? How to perform WBCs test by neubaur chamber .
Hi friends, today I am going to give you some knowledge about ” What is WBC? WBC count or TLC count.What does high WBC count mean? What is the function of Turk’s fluids? “.I hope this information is helpful to you because I use very simple language in this article so let’s know about this.
What is WBC?
White blood cells are the cells of immune system that are involved in protecting the body against both infectious disease and foreign invaders. White blood cells are also called leukocytes. It is the largest types of blood cells but it is present in lowest number of blood cells in the blood that is 4,000-11,000 per microliters in the blood.
White blood cells formed in the bone marrow and some in the lymph glands.Its contain nucleic with DNA, the shapes depends on the types of cells.Certain WBCs produce antibodies. The life span of WBCs are about 24 hours to several years. The WBCs are in different sizes it is about 8-20 micrometer. There are five different types of WBCs-
How we perform WBCs count or TLC count ?
The TLC count (Total leukocytes count) is the blood test in which we know how many total WBCs are present in human body or our body.
Neubaur chamber or counting chamber
- Turk’s fluid
- Whole blood
- Cover slip
- First we take a clean and dry test tube and counting chamber.
- After that we take 380 microliter of Turk’s fluid and add 20 microliter of blood
- Mix and wait for 2-3 minutes .
- After that we take counting chamber and charge the chamber with (10 microliter) dilution and cover with cover slip .
- And wait 1-2 minutes and examine under microscope (low power then high power 40x) .
=No.of WBCs count X Dilution /Depth of chamber X area count
= N X 50 ( N=total no. of WBCs into 50).
Count number of WBCs and multiply with 20 (because dilution is 20) and divide by 0.1 (depth of chamber) into 4 (because we count 4 area in chamber) and calculate it… After that you have the total number of WBCs.
Composition of Turk’s fluid –
- Glacial acidic acid
- Crystal violet (methylene blue)
- Distilled water
What is the function of
The solution destroy the membrane of the WBCs, RBCs and platelets within a blood sample and stain the nuclei of the white blood cells, making them easier to see and count.
The blood specimen is diluted 1:20 (20:380 in some laboratory) in a white blood cell pipette with the diluting fluids and the cells are counted under the low power of the microscope using a chamber.
What does high WBCs count mean ?
A high white blood cell count may indicate that the immune system working to destroy an infection. It may also be a sign of physical or emotional stress, people with particular blood cancer may also have high white blood cells count.
A high white blood cells count is not a specific disease but it can indicate another problems such as infection, stress, inflammation, trauma, allergy or certain disease.
A low white blood cells count –
- Cancer ( caused by chemotherapy treatment)
- Bone marrow disorder or damage
- Autoimmune disorders (problems with the immune system in which the body attacks itself) such as lupus.
- Infections including tuberculosis and HIV.
- Chron’s disease -chrin’s disease in an inflammation of your digestive tract, which can lead to abdominal pain ,severe diarrhea, fatigue, weight loss and malnutrition.
If you have any doubt related to this please comment and if you want to some changes in this article so comment. If this information is helpful to you please share this…thanks…..