Platelet count | Normal platelet count
|Platelets count test.|
What is platelet ? (Platelets definition) .
platelet is tiny disk shaped blood cells which is found in large numbers in blood. The platelets are also known as “Thrombocytes” (it’s the scientific name of Platelets). Platelets are involving in blood clotting. They are lack of Nuclei. Platelets are made in your bone marrow along with your red and white blood cells. Formation of platelets is called ” megakaryocytes“.
The life span of platelets about 8-10 days. Under microscope a platelets looks like a tiny plate. A normal platelets count is 1.5 Lakh to 4.0 lakh per microlitre of blood. Platelets seal wounds and prevent the blood loss. Platelets stain bluish with reddish or purple granules.
What do platelets do?
The main work of platelets are to prevent the blood loss from any injury and to clot the blood. Platelets also seal wounds and it’s help to repair the damage vessels.
Normal platelets count.
Normally platelets are 1.5 lakh to 4.0 lakh. When platelets are high this condition is known as thrombocytosis and when the platelets are below from normal range that’s mean low platelets count is known as thrombocytopenia.
Low platelets count (causes that affect the production of platelets count).
When platelets count is less than 50,000 bleeding is likely to be more serious if you’re cut or brushed. Causes that affect the production of platelets in the bone marrow that’s are –
- Leukemia and others cancers that can replace the bone marrow.
- Certain types of Anemia.
- Infections with viruses including HIV and hepatitis C.
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
Also read this 👉
Test procedure of Platelets count (Plts count).
- Platelet diluting fluid
- Neubaur chamber or counting chamber
- Cover slip and pipettes
- Whole blood
- Microscope (for examination)
- First we take a clean and dry test tube and take 1990 microlitres of platelets diluting fluid.
- And take 10 microlitres of blood and mix well and wait for 3-5 minutes.
- After that take a counting chamber and charge the chamber (with 10 microlitres dilution) and wait for few minutes.
- After that examine the counting chamber under microscope (low power than 40x).
No. of platelets count * dilution /area count
X * 200 / 80/400 = X * 1000
X = No. of platelets count
Dilution = 1990+10 = 2000/10 =200
Area count = count boxes in five (16*5=80) and total no. of boxes (400).
Composition of platelet diluting fluid –
- Tri sodium citrate – 3.8 gm
- Brilliant crystal blue = 0.1 gm
- 40% Formalin = 0.2 ml
- Distilled water = 100 ml
Hey guy’s hope this is helpful and knowledgeable for you I’m trying to give you some knowledge according me and my knowledge based. If you any doubt and any queries pls comment and share it with your friends.